Meditation is the practice of calming the mind through exercises in mental awareness. Meditation is easy to do, but it helps to have someone coach you through the process. It only takes a few minutes each day to begin enjoying its rewards.
Usually people sit to meditate, focusing on their breath and their states of mind. But meditation can be practiced in many ways. Some people walk slowly, some people lie down, some people do free-form movements, some people sing or chant, and some people even meditate while they are doing the dishes or driving their car.
Why should I Meditate?
Not all meditation practices have the same goal, but you could broadly say that meditation has the purpose of helping us to create and maintain feelings of joy and peace of mind. And along the way, you may also discover many other benefits, too. At the Healing House in Scottsdale, we will adapt our meditation coaching to meet your specific goals. If you’re wondering why you might like to take up meditation, consider these questions:
- Does your mind constantly spin out of control with excessive thinking?
- Are you constantly plagued by disturbing memories from the past?
- Are you always waiting for happiness to arrive in the future?
- Are your emotions overly sensitive?
- Are you prone to anger, sadness, worry, fear, or other negative feelings?
- Are you having difficulty falling asleep?
- Are you having a hard time developing self-discipline?
- Are you struggling with stress and tension in my body?
- Do you have high blood pressure?
- Are you struggling to overcome addiction?
- Are you in pain and want to avoid addictive drugs or dangerous surgeries?
- Are you feel like I never have time to find a moment of peace?
- Do you wish my life had more of a sense of purpose?
- Are you constantly trying to figure out who you really are?
If you answered “yes” to one or more of these questions, then congratulations — you’re human! And of the simplest and most effective ways to help you with these very human problems is to begin the simple practice of meditation.
Why Do I Need a Meditation Coach?
Many Americans have heard of meditation, but very few practice it in a deliberate way — some surveys show as little as 8% have ever even tried meditation. Yet, the practice of meditation has been shown to have a huge number of benefits! According to a Dr. Yi-Yuan Tang, professor of neurology at the University of Texas, mindfulness meditation can be shown to “significantly improve attention, working memory, creativity, immune function, emotional regulation, self-control, cognitive and school performance, and healthy habits while reducing stress.” But in order to take advantage of these benefits, one needs to know where to begin. That’s where a good meditation coach can help.
At Healing House of Scottsdale, our meditation coach is Mukhtar “Muki” Ramsey. Muki has been practicing various forms of fasting and meditation since he was a very young child. His main internal work has been through a little known mystical form of meditation called the latihan kejiwaan (meaning “spiritual training”) of Susila Budhi Dharma, or SUBUD. He began diligently practicing the latihan kejiwaan at age seventeen and has attended at least one SUBUD retreat every year since. Muki also earned his Bachelor’s degree in Philosophy with a focus on Eastern religion, and he is a licensed acupuncturist with a four-year Master’s degree in the Science of Oriental Medicine. He makes a daily practice of mindfulness meditation, and he has coached many people to understand and take on meditation as an integral part of their path to peace, joy, and wellness.
Your meditation coaching sessions will consist of one-on-one discussion and practice over a 40-minute, uninterrupted period. We think individualized training is preferable throughout the delicate process of guiding the beginner into their meditation experience.
The Benefits of Meditation
Meditation has been scientifically shown to:
- Reduce stress anxiety
- Improve sleep
- Ease pain
- Increase mental focus, concentration, and memory
- Stop excessive thinking
- Increase a feeling of confidence
- Lower blood pressure
- Relieve depression
- Expand creativity
- Protect the brain from aging and dementia
But there are many more benefits to meditation than are listed, here. And best of all, once you begin your practice, it’s as free as the cost of a breath of air.